What is Protocrastinator?

A Protocrastinator is a person who puts off finescale Railroad (and railway modelling) for no good reason.
Originally for me it was 1:87 (HO) scale. Problems with acquiring the bits and pieces led to extreme dissatisfaction and the project stalled. Now I've acquired an O scale boxcar and I intend investigating Proto 48 as a finescale project.

Thursday, May 19, 2022

The blog won't lie down.

Well, this blog is tossing and turning like someone who can't sleep at 2:30am, (been there, done that. Last night actually). It may well be that there is another avenue available to me before I can finally put this idea to sleep again.
It concerns something I had forgotten about. This.
AHM/Rivarossi Plymouth MDT switcher
I have several of these Plymouth MDT switchers in my possession. There are 4 wheel and 6 wheel versions. The four wheel version was made by Rivarossi and the six wheel by Roco for AHM (Associated Hobby Manufacturers) in the 1960's. They were a cheap introduction to 2 rail O scale in the USA.
I was not planning to use them for O gauge, but for an embryonic 16mm scale narrow gauge project I am planning. As this other project develops, I find I have less need for these locos. Perhaps one could find its way onto this P:48 project. There are however, things that need closer inspection. Most importantly the width of the chassis block to see if it is narrow enough to take Proto wheel sets.
(... 24 hours later...)
Well, it turns out it is and it isn't. Being that these AHM locomotives have two different wheel arrangements, and as a consequence, different drive trains. One is convertible and the other isn't (where have I heard that before). The four wheeler won't convert. Well it will. But it involves turning the wheels to the correct profile in a lathe among other things. All skills and equipment I don't have. Plus, that also would go against the ethos of this layout. Which is to keep things simple and attainable by the average modeller. 
The four wheeler is in my opinion a quieter runner, and alas, my six wheeler has been sliced up to fit a 16mm scale narrow gauge locomotive. So I need to source another one. There are times when they are ten a penny on that well known auction web site.
Things could yet happen.
Don't go to sleep just yet blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment