What is Protocrastinator?

A Protocrastinator is a person who puts off finescale Railroad (and railway modelling) for no good reason.
Originally for me it was 1:87 (HO) scale. Problems with acquiring the bits and pieces led to extreme dissatisfaction and the project stalled. Now I've acquired an O scale boxcar and I intend investigating Proto 48 as a finescale project.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Concrete Canyons

Concrete Canyons is another idea I've had in my head for quite some time. I can put it's inception down to about 10-11 years ago when I arrived in the States and lived in Plymouth MN not far from the I-494 business park indeed my first job as also on the outlying fringes of the park. This is the more modern aspect of American Railroading Large industrial parks on the edes of cities with many rail served industries. You can read more about it here.
http://iholmes.com/pages/journal/planning_06.html
It's another idea I like. But I am currently railing against long thin layouts (shelf layouts) where the tracks all run paralell to the front and rear edges of the baseboards. I know that to a certain extent that is unavoidable given the constraints. But its not too difficult to try and treat the plan to disguise the fact. I tried by using cut-away buildings so you could watch the cars go in and out of the warehouses.
So it appears to me currently that a good plan would be an amalgam of the Rat Hole and Concrete Canyons. Not surprisingly I am working on that. It will be while before I get back with something as I head down to Dallas tomorrow to run the Whiterock Marathon. Who knows what might happen down there? I might turn a corner and discover an inspirational scene I have to model. We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment