What is Protocrastinator?

A Protocrastinator is a person who puts off finescale Railroad (and railway modelling) for no good reason.
Originally for me it was 1:87 (HO) scale. Problems with acquiring the bits and pieces led to extreme dissatisfaction and the project stalled. Now I've acquired an O scale boxcar and I intend investigating Proto 48 as a finescale project.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

The journey begins with a single step...

Protocrastinator. I don't know if it's just a bad pun or have I invented a new model railroading/ railway modelling term?
I've been a railway modeller since my early teens and I've been a frustrated one since I discovered the concept of finescale. I had a dabble in EM and P4 in my late teenage years but I didn't have the patience or skills back then so I quickly returned to ready to run trains. Over the intervening years I have developed more skills and I figure its about time that I turned my modelling attentions to finescale.
My recent HO scale layout Wingetts recycling could have so easily been built in P87 and as the layout progressed I began to feel more and more that is what I should have done. But that would have got away from the original concept somewhat. The positive reactions to this diorama-style, switching layout by the exhibition viewing public did nothing to quell these feelings.
So I made the decision that my next US Outline layout would be P87. It will probably progress faster than my P4 layout as work on that will at times be dictated by exchange rates between the US and the UK whereas the P87 bits will all come from here in the US.
So there we are that's a bit about my history and motivations. I hope you'll all come along for the ride with me and follow as I build my first Proto 87 layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment